Moblin is dead, Fedora on netbooks?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 19:09:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 10:03:29PM +0000, BeartoothHbsk wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 09:12:01 +0100, birger wrote:
> 	[....]
> > That said, I prefer running Fedora on my netbooks. I actually think
> > there is no problem at all running a full gnome on a netbook. I usually
> > remove the panels and install cairo-dock. I also make a few gui tweaks
> > that I am used to doing on older hardware (getting rid of gradients in
> > window borders and so on). Seriously, a netbook is more powerful than
> > what I used to run linux on just 1-2 years ago.
>
> 	I also prefer Fedora -- and currently have Omega Linux running of
> an EeePC 701, which is about the smallest and slowest of netbooks. Omega
> seems to me to be very effectively "Fedora For Netbooks" -- and that
> makes me wonder, after reading all this thread so far, whether I need
> bother paying attention to MeeGo.
>
> 	Am I missing something??

I also run Fedora 12 on a EeePC 701SD, and yes, it works just fine.
The only difference Omega brings is automatically included software
that's legally encumbered.

I think MeeGo and other mobile software (like the Fedora Moblin
desktop environment) get more or less interesting depending on you
like to use your netbook.  My wife wants a small station in the
kitchen she can use for weather reports, quick web browsing, and the
occasional transfer of music files from our network share to her music
device.  She prefers that it mimic her normal desktop environment,
ergo Fedora 12 works fine.