what network monitor will display which applications are using which connections?

Wendell Nichols wcn00 at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 19 15:59:54 UTC 2010

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 02/18/2010 03:01 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>>> Snort is probably the best (and complicated) network sniffer out
>>> there.  It can do some serious analysis.  It also eats up CPU cycles
>>> like crazy.  You've been warned.
>>>
>> Other things to look at: ntop and wireshark (not for the faint of
>> heart).
>>

> Wireshark, of course, being the GUI side of tcpdump.  But you knew that!
Thankyou for your input.  I've looked at all these things and a few
more.  One of the more interesting tools is etherape (available at your
friendly neighbourhood fedora repo site).  It gives you a nice picture
of what machines on your lan are connected to what machines both off and
on your lan.  The thing it doesn't tell me is what app is responsible
for the connection and where the end point is.  There is also no
logging.  I have snort on my firewall and I'll look more closely at it
before I move on.
I'm mostly concerned with apps on windows machines on my local lan
having connections to machines which are not expected.  You read nearly
every week about some social networking game or app (tomtom skype?)
which funnels the chat content to either a foreign government or an
organization collecting identities for fraud purposes.  I'm interested
in tools which might plug those holes... but perhaps they don't exist or
are out of the reach of the "little guy" :)
Thanks again for your thoughts..
Wendell Nichols