change HDD without Re-installing Fedora 12 ..!!!!

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Sat Feb 20 09:30:34 UTC 2010

On 02/20/2010 06:46 AM, Jatin K wrote:
> Dear list
>
> I'm using FC 12 x86_64 on my dell vostro 1520 notebook  with 160GB hdd
> installed in it , now I want to upgrade the hdd from 160GB  to 320GB
> 7200 RPM
>
> is it possible to transfer fedora 12 from one hdd to another ?? I dont
> want to re-install it as lots of software and configurations are there
> in old one
>
> is there any  way like ghost ( like in M$ environment ) for Linux or may
> be something like that

Sure, you can just partition your new disk and then copy over the data
from the old partitions by using dd.

The only fiddly part is installing the boot loader.  To do that I'd
install a minimal system on the new disk, make sure it boots and then
copy over everything from the old disk except the /boot partition.
You'll have to partition the new disk by hand, though.

Andrew.