change HDD without Re-installing Fedora 12 ..!!!!

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sat Feb 20 10:12:47 UTC 2010

On 20 Feb 2010 at 12:16, Jatin K wrote:

Date sent:      	Sat, 20 Feb 2010 12:16:11 +0530
From:           	Jatin K <ssh.fedora at gmail.com>
To:             	"Community assistance,
	and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Subject:        	change HDD without Re-installing Fedora 12 ..!!!!
Send reply to:  	Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
	<mailto:users-
request at lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=unsubscribe>
	<mailto:users-
request at lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=subscribe>

> Dear list
>
> I'm using FC 12 x86_64 on my dell vostro 1520 notebook  with 160GB hdd
> installed in it , now I want to upgrade the hdd from 160GB  to 320GB
> 7200 RPM
>
> is it possible to transfer fedora 12 from one hdd to another ?? I dont
> want to re-install it as lots of software and configurations are there
> in old one
>
> is there any  way like ghost ( like in M$ environment ) for Linux or may
> be something like that
>

> Thnx in advance

You might also want to look at g4l. It does disk imaging and has a clone
option for a disk to disk option.

The latest released version is on sourceforge,  but a later version is at
ftp://amd64gcc.dyndns.org/g4l-v0.33alpha12.iso

That is a bootable ISO image, but it can also be setup to run from the grub
menu.

I'm the current maintainer, and build it using my Fedora systems and use it
for my classroom machines.

Are you  using LVM or other setup?
In making an image, it will be the same size.If ext2/3/4 you could proable use
parted magic to resize non-LVM partitions.

> --
>    °v°
>   /(_)\
>    ^ ^  Jatin Khatri
> Registerd Linux user No #501175
> www.counter.li.org
> No M$
>
> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI      9,387,769.025659 | EINSTEIN  3,775,826.130851
ROSETTA   1,704,354.844311 | ABC         118,615.823709