recommendations for version controlling /etc on a new f12 box?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sun Feb 21 03:29:48 UTC 2010

Craig White wrote:
> I truly count on packages to install 'rpmsave' conf files from the
> new installations rather than replacing the in place conf files so
> perhaps I am stupid but I fail to understand the benefits of the
> logic above (not puppet but etckeeper).

As I don't use etckeeper myself, I'm probably not best to understand
or defend it, but...  If a config file was not modified by the user it
won't get any .rpmsave or .rpmnew file, it'll just be silently updated
by rpm.

But etckeeper should pick this up and allow you to roll it back or
view the changes in case you install an update and find that the stock
config file doesn't work anymore (or has simply changed a default that
you now realized you don't like).  Quite often you don't know you
cared about the contents of a config file until the defaults are
changed from what you expected. :)

Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they
think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.
    -- Thomas Edison