Upgrade downgrades Firefox

Marcel Rieux m.z.rieux at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 17:47:05 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 12:57 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> Marcel Rieux wrote:

>>> What does 'yum info Firefox' report?  What version of Fedora are you using?
>>>

>> yum info firefox
>> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
>> Installed Packages
>> Name       : firefox
>> Arch       : x86_64
>> Version    : 3.5.8
>> Release    : 1.fc12
>> Size       : 17 M
>> Repo       : installed
>> >From repo  : updates
>> Summary    : Mozilla Firefox Web browser
>> URL        : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
>> License    : MPLv1.1 or GPLv2+ or LGPLv2+
>>            : standards compliance, performance and portability.
>>
>> I was formerly running 3.6.? (whichever was current). Isn't it amazing
>> that everybody doesn't have the same problem?
>>
> This is probably because FF 3.5.8 is in the normal repository and FF
> 3.6.0 is in rawhide.  3.5.8 is the most current for F12.  If you install
> from rawhide you'll get 3.6.0.f13.

Gee, I feel silly! I just checked yum.log and 3.5.8 is the only
Firefox I have. Since 3.6 was released last month, I thought I was
running it. Then, what really got me confused, is when Firefox opened
after reboot (the update included a kernel). It said a newer version,
3.6, was available. I thought I was having another silly update
problem.

Isn't there a way to prevent this screen from appearing if Fedora is
not satisfied with the latest version?

Thanks to all. I'm really sorry for the trouble.