Fedora 12 doesn't recognise Firewire Drive

Jay Fenlason fenlason at redhat.com
Mon Feb 22 17:05:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 10:03:57PM +0000, Alan Milnes wrote:
> On 19 February 2010 21:04, Aioanei Rares <fedora.listen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 02/19/2010 10:59 PM, Alan Milnes wrote:
> >
> >> My newly installed F12 doesn't recognise my external Firewire drive.
> >>
> >> lspci shows the following:-
> >> 04:09.4 FireWire (IEEE 1394): ALi Corporation M5253 P1394 OHCI 1.1
> >> Controller
> >>
> >> I have the following installed packages which seem to be related to
> >> firewire support:-
> >> libraw1394.x86_64                      2.0.4-1.fc12
> >> libiec61883.x86_64                     1.2.0-3.fc12
> >>
> >> Google doesn't provide any useful hints, anyone able to help me here?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> Alan
> >>
> > Send your dmesg with / without the drive connected.
> >

> As requested.

The line

firewire_core: giving up on config rom for node id ffc1

says that the firewire subsystem in the kernel saw the drive enclosure, but
was not able to read the enclosure's configuration rom.  Since the config rom
tells the firewire subsytem what kind of device it is, the kernel can't do
anything with it.

Can you attach the external drive, boot Fedora, and do the following as root:
# rmmod firewire-ohci
# modprobe firewire-ohci debug=15
and see if the kernel provides anything more useful in dmesg?  All the
interesting lines in dmesg will start with "firewire", so you can just
# dmesg|grep firewire
which will be a lot easier to include in an email message.

			-- JF