What happened to floppy drive support?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Feb 23 01:26:48 UTC 2010

On Monday 22 February 2010, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 20:36 +0000, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>> I've been using a floppy boot disk as reserve if my HD boot fails, But
>> it appears floppy support as now been removed. Why? Then how can I
>> create an emergency media that is flexible enough to be updated as
>> required?
>>
>> JB
>
>I would suggest changing to pen drives. They are potentially much larger
>than floppies in capacity and most machines have extra places to insert
>them.

I take it you are referring to modern machines?  This one was new in '81, I
think. Maybe '82.?

>OT - If anyone is intrigued by the Windows 7 with Touch Screen and Web
>Cam capabilities here is a tip. You need 5 usb ports for the various
>gadgets, and my Dell came with 4 on the back of the machine. Inserting a
>usb  hub caused the machine to crash.

Obviously, they didn't invent it, so of course it was crippled by M$, they
never miss the chance to force an 'upgrade'.  To linux of course.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Only someone with nothing to be sorry for smiles back at the rear of an
elephant.