how to know if I'm using xterm or gnome-terminal?

Jake Peavy djstunks at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 22:06:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Germán A. Racca <german.racca at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm running a program called IRAF to work with astronomical images, and
> it needs to use the graphic capabilities of an xterm, not
> gnome-terminal. So, I'm trying to make a very simple script to start
> IRAF, but first I have to know if I'm on an xterm (so it enters directly
> to IRAF) or a gnome-terminal (in this case the script must open an xterm
> before).

This must be too easy, but I'm going to say it anyway.  Why not always start
xterm and run IRAF within it?

--
-jp

If you were a pirate, you know what would be the one thing that would really
make you mad? Treasure chests with no handles. How the heck are you supposed
to carry it?!

deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com