Fedora 12: issue with PyGTK2/Python based applications

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Wed Feb 24 11:44:46 UTC 2010

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 08:22:50PM -0600, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> > Hello Everyone
> > I have been having a very annoying problem with a lot of Python/PyGTK2
> > based applications.  I can only run them as root.  If I try to run them
as
> > a regular user, they fail somewhat like this:
> >
> > [steve at localhost ~]$ bleachbit
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/usr/bin/bleachbit", line 41, in <module>
> >     import gtk
> > ImportError: No module named gtk
> > [steve at localhost ~]$
> >

> > Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
>
> Hi Steven, I know there is nothing wrong with pygtk2 itself in F12, as
> I am currently using it for a side project.
>
> Did you have a problem with an interrupted yum transaction at some
> point?  Try running 'package-cleanup --problems' to find out.

Hello Paul
Here is the result of  'package-cleanup --problems':

[root at localhost ~]# package-cleanup --problems
Loaded plugins: blacklist, fastestmirror, presto, refresh-packagekit
No Problems Found
[root at localhost ~]#

I know of at least one other person on Fedora 12 that is not having this
issue.  But  I want to re-state something from my original message and get
your comments on that:
1. Going from the assumption/possibility that pygtk2 might be broken on
Fedora 12, I grabbed the pygtk2 SRPM from Rawhide and successfully rebuilt
it.
2. I then successfully ran "rpm -Fvh" on the resulting RPM's.
3. I then opened up a terminal, and since I had not yet logged out and
logged back in, I ran "su - steve"
4. I then re-attempted to run "bleachbit" and "listen" (the two Python
based applications that I am referring to for testing purposes.)  The
result was that I could now run both applications as a regular user!

This joy was short lived...

5. I then rebooted, because the kernel had been updated recently.  After
rebooting, and logging back in, I tried to run "listen" and "bleachbit"
again.  This time I could NOT run them as a regular user.

So, why did upgrading the pygtk2 RPMS temporarily fix my problem, and why
did rebooting result in the problem coming back again?  Remember, I did not
run "yum downgrade pygtk2*" until AFTER the reboot, and AFTER I discovered
that my workaround had stopped working...

Steven P. Ulrick