firefox lockups after update

Vincent Onelli vonelli at optonline.net
Wed Feb 24 15:42:29 UTC 2010

> From: Patrick Bartek <bartek047 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: firefox lockups after update
> --- On Tue, 2/23/10, vinny <vonelli at optonline.net> wrote:
>
> > I submitted this problem before, I had one answer
> > requesting the output
> > of "yum info firefox" I submitted, If there was a
> > subsequent answer
> > maybe I missed. So here I have an HP laptop zv600 and a
> > desktop Dell
> > 8300. Dell works fine through out all the update, HP lockup
> > and after
> > several try uninstall and reinstall doesn't lock any longer
> > but it
> > doesn't load.
> > here are the yum info for both PC:
> >
> > Dell desktop
> > [vinny at localhost ~]$ yum info firefox
> > Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
> > adobe-linux-i386
> > 17/17
> > Installed Packages
> > Name? ? ???: firefox
> > Arch? ? ???: i686
> > Version? ? : 3.5.8
> > Release? ? : 1.fc12
> > Size? ? ???: 17 M
> > Repo? ? ???: installed
> > >From repo? : updates
> > Summary? ? : Mozilla Firefox Web browser
> > URL? ? ? ? : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
> > License? ? : MPLv1.1 or GPLv2+ or LGPLv2+
> > designed for
> > ? ? ? ? ???: standards
> > compliance, performance and portability.
> >
> > HP laptop
> > [vinny at laptop ~]$ yum info firefox
> > Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
> > Installed Packages
> > Name? ? ???: firefox
> > Arch? ? ???: i586
> > Version? ? : 3.5.8
> > Release? ? : 1.fc11
> > Size? ? ???: 17 M
> > Repo? ? ???: installed
> > >From repo? : updates
> > Summary? ? : Mozilla Firefox Web browser
> > URL? ? ? ? : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
> > License? ? : MPLv1.1 or GPLv2+ or LGPLv2+
> > designed for
> > ? ? ? ? ???: standards
> > compliance, performance and portability.
> >
> > The only difference that I can see is that Dell has the
> > release 1.FC12
> > and HP has release 1.FC11, seeing that I reinstalled few
> > times but it
> > all the way install the same release.
> > is there any thing I can do to get firefox back??
>
> Are you running Fedora 12 on the Dell, and Fedora 11 on the HP?

>   And what are the basic hardware specs on each.

>  And did you do clean installs or upgrade installs?

>  Are you dual/multi booting?  And if so, what OSes?

Both pc running F12 at least I thought, but since you questioning it I
start to check and I found that the kernel on HP is
Fedora(2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i686.PAE) I suppose that means HP is
runnung F11 I do not remember for sure, I thing that the difference is
that at Dell I made a clean installation and at HP I did upgrade,
however, both were working fine up to the update.
Dell dimension 8300 Intel Pentium 4, 2GB of memory Has 2 HD 120Gb for
windows XP and 350 GB for F12
HP zv6000 with AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 1.5GB of memory, use dual boot on
single HD 80GB partitioned at 40GB each with windows XP and what I
thought was f12.
I do not know how to get other hardware info, if it is needed please
give me direction on how to get them