Printing from Windows XP

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Feb 24 21:20:57 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:14:59PM +0300, Hiisi wrote:
> 2010/2/24 Kevin J. Cummings <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net>:
> > On 02/24/2010 08:11 AM, Hiisi wrote:
> >> 2010/2/24 Kevin J. Cummings <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net>:
> <--SNIP-->
> >
> > Well, there is a can of worms!
> >
> > If I attach remotely to the server's CUPs page (@ server:631), I can
> > select "Manage Printers" which brings me to a page showing me the
> > printers on my server.  When I look at the printer in question, I can
> > see buttons for:
> >
> >        Print Test Page, Stop Printer, Reject Jobs, Move All Jobs, Cancel All
> > Jobs, Unpublish Printer, Modify Printer,  Set Printer Options, Delete
> > Printer, Set As Default, and Set Allowed Users.
> >
> > When I select the Set Allowed Users button, I get the following WWW page:
> >
> > http://::1/admin/?op=set-allowed-users&printer_name=Printer
> >
> > Why does it change from server:631 to ::1?????
> >
> > When I change the URL back to the CUPs Server, I see that the allowed
> > users list is empty, and neither the Allow These Users To Print, nor the
> > Prevent These Users From Printing buttons are checked....
> >
> > So, no users are listed for this printer.  What can I check next?
> >
> > Please remember, that prior to this weekend, this was working without
> > incident.  I have rebooted the Windows XP machine a number of times
> > without changing the perceived behavior.  Do I need to reboot the CUPs
> > Server?
> >
> > --
> > Kevin J. Cummings
> > kjchome at rcn.com
> > cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
> > cummings at kjc386.framingham.ma.us
> > Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)
>
> I don't know. Last time when I was fishing I used polyurethane worms:
> http://rulla.kuvaboxi.fi/mediaobjects/orig/pub/2009/08/24/8143010478554238833orig.jpg
> Is it time to yum reinstall cups?
> --

Reinstalling cups is like the idea that to keep Windoze working you need
to reinstall it when it goes bad. Doesn't feel like the right answer,
though I don't know what the right answer is.

Kevin, at the risk of severe information overload, you might want to
consider using Wireshark (or other similar tool) to grab some data packets
off the network to see what, if anything, Windoze is doing when the printing
fails.

                       I can do all things through Christ
                              who strengthens me.