Printing from Windows XP

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Feb 24 23:15:13 UTC 2010

On 02/24/2010 05:46 PM, Hiisi wrote:
> 2010/2/25 fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>:
>> Reinstalling cups is like the idea that to keep Windoze working you need
>> to reinstall it when it goes bad. Doesn't feel like the right answer,
>> though I don't know what the right answer is.
>
> Isn't it the right way of running window$?
> Reinstall process will not trigger any dependences.

This is not Windows, but in the same tradition, after rebooting my CUPs
server, I have lost connectivity to this printer from *both* windows
machines, both from user and admin accounts.  This is frustrating as it
points to CUPs as the culprit, but I haven't changed the CUPs
configuration in a *long* time.

BTW, I can still use the printer from my F11 laptop....

The next step for me is to delete the printer entirely and re-install
it, possibly under F13 when the ALPHA gets released next month....

>> Kevin, at the risk of severe information overload, you might want to
>> consider using Wireshark (or other similar tool) to grab some data packets
>> off the network to see what, if anything, Windoze is doing when the printing
>> fails.

I'll get to this after the above, but only as a last resort.

This printer was originally installed under FC5 as an LPRng printer (as
that was the driver that Samsung shipped with it).  Samsung has a newer
unified driver now, and it may be time to see if the latest Fedora
printing support does any better as I'm starting to have problems with
duplex printing (that I didn't have when I first installed it).

Then again, its on its 3rd set of toner cartridges, and 3rd set of waste
toner cartridges, and now its telling me that its time for a new drum
and a new belt drive.  These two "consumables" are about to cost me more
than I spent on the printer in the first place....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net