OT: ISPs: Linux's role nowadays

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Feb 25 22:15:00 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux at gmail.com> said:
> Vyatta Appliance, Vyatta 3520, Premium Subscription, H/W Expedited 4HR, 3 Years
>
> Vyatta Appliance, Vyatta 3520, Premium Subscription, H/W Expedited 4HR
> Parts & Labor, 3 Years (ships with US Power Cord as standard)
> (Typically ships in 15-17 business days)
> Price: $10,695.45
>
> http://www2.vyatta.com/store/Vyatta-3520-Premium-with-4-Hour-Expedited-Service
>
> But I have no idea of how it compares to other Cisco's or Junipter's.

It appears to be comprable to a Juniper J-6350, except that the J-6350
has more slots, no spinning drives to fail, more software functionality,
a compatible path to higher end routers, and costs less.  That looks to
be the highest-end Vyatta, and the J-6350 is a very low-end Juniper.

The question started out about ISPs, and as even a small ISP, a J-6350
is a low-end, limited use router; we have one in a small remote POP.

Basically, there's nothing wrong with using Linux in a router, but it
needs to be a router first, not a server case with some router cards.
Junipers are built around commodity Intel CPUs running FreeBSD (the
forwarding hardware uses custom ASICs on the mid- to high-end routers).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>