F12: Yum - network disconnects spins it's wheels.

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Thu Feb 25 23:33:50 UTC 2010

On 02/25/2010 03:21 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>
>> Seems to me, that Yum is performing quite
>> badly.  I often get network disconnects and Yum
>> keeps spinning after going into 0.0b transfer rates
>> forever and requires a forced kill.
>>

> Ahhh....  If you are getting network disconnects then any application
> yum, firefox, etc. which connects to a remote server would certainly
> suffer.  Some apps/protocols may recover better when the network is
> restored.
>
> So, are you saying that in your case the network connection is dropping
> frequently and yum isn't recovering as you'd expect?

I am saying specifically with Yum, it somehow loses the connection,
and you can see the transfer rate slowly drop to 0.0b, the ETA
grows ridiculously large and getting larger... and stays that
way "forever", until one kills yum.  This disconnect happens
quite often that it takes several yum restarts to complete
the downloads.
> Or....
>
>> Anyone see this problem?
>>
>> I am of course using NetworkManager, and wonder
>> if I should use the old-network connectivity style?
>>
> Are you saying you're having frequent network disconnects, but you don't
> know why, and you are trying to solve that problem?

Yes, and I do not know why - seems the other apps are running
fine, AFAIK, unless there is a test that can ram the network hard
to see if it is dropping network connections frequently or not.

So, I am willing to test the network on F12 to discover if the
problem is mine alone. Could you or someone tell me how
check this out?  I had no problems on F9/11 - works fine.