F12: Yum - network disconnects spins it's wheels.

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Feb 26 00:04:20 UTC 2010

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

>> OK, I believe I understand your question a bit better.
>>
>> Since you are able to use firefox, for example, without problem it
>> doesn't appear you have a true network issue.  Or, at least, it isn't
>> local to you.  If firefox were also giving you grief it would be a
>> different story.
>>
>> Generally I'm having no issues with yum on updates or installs.  I did
>> have to add "exclude=.gov, .sg"
>> to my fastestmirror.conf as I use yum-plugin-fastestmirror and have had
>> issues with slow network to Singapore.
>>
>> Are you using yum-plugin-fastestmirror
>>
> Yes.  I tried it with and without.  Problems are the same.  Seems to
> me it is a yum problem, but I am speculating.  I am running FF. sendmail,
> DNS, etc.. a LOT of services and I am not seeing any problems.  Just
> with yum installs/updates.

Well, all I can say is that I'm certainly not seeing any problems with
yum here.  At least not after I excluded Singapore.

I suppose that if I was in your position I'd be starting wireshark and
seeing if I could learn anything.

--
"I think Michael is like litmus paper - he's always trying to learn." --
Elizabeth Taylor, absurd non-sequitir about Michael Jackson