What has happened to /etc/mail/statistics ???

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Feb 26 01:44:28 UTC 2010

reg at dwf.com wrote:
> Up till last fall I used to receive information about what had gone thru
> sendmail from the program /usr/sbin/mailstats from information being
> kept in the file /etc/mail/statistics.
>
> Since (an update to sendmail?) last fall, the file /etc/mail/statistics
> has been of zero length, but I see no other complaints.
>
> Is there now an option that I must set to get these statistics?
> Or possibly new file ownership/mode for the file.
>
> Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Working just fine here on a fully updated F12 system.

My sendmail.mc has the entry...

define(`STATUS_FILE', `/var/log/mail/statistics')dnl

and that file's ownership is "root/root".

I ran "mailstats -p" to print and clear the file.  Then, after more mail
arrived, ran just "mailstats" and the new stats were available.

--
"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on." - Samuel Goldwyn