F12: Yum - network disconnects spins it's wheels.

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Feb 26 01:57:30 UTC 2010

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> On 02/25/2010 03:58 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>

>> Yes.  I tried it with and without.  Problems are the same.  Seems to
>> me it is a yum problem, but I am speculating.  I am running FF. sendmail,
>> DNS, etc.. a LOT of services and I am not seeing any problems.  Just
>> with yum installs/updates.
>>

> OK, it seems that when I removed yum-fastestmirror, the problem went away.
> Perhaps fastestmirror is not playing nice!  I noticed that it was
> hard-hitting
> the network and perhaps reaches a bandwidth limit and causes breakage?
>
> Dunno..  I think I will stick with this for now.

You could try removing /var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt and then enabling
fastestmirror again. I did that when I was troubleshooting when I found
the problem with Singapore.  FWIW, Singapore had been working just
fine.  I think there may have been undersea cable problem at the time.
I've not gone back to find if the problem still exists.

--
HELP! Man trapped in a human body!