Fedora Install

Patrick Bartek bartek047 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 26 17:30:56 UTC 2010

--- On Fri, 2/26/10, Mike Flannigan <mikeflan at att.net> wrote:

> I would like to get any flavor of Linux installed
> to my older-generation computer.  I have 2
> old computers:
> x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3 AT/AT Compatible 130,596 KB
> Ram
> Intel (R) 4 CPU 1400 MHz 130,352 KB Ram
>
> I know that x86 is a Pentium 3.
>

> I have tried 2 different downloaded versions
> of the single CD install:
> Fedora 12 i686-LIVE
> I don't want a dual boot - I want a clean install.
>
> I have tried it at least 15 times.
> [snip]

You lack sufficient RAM (probably) and/or your hardware (particularly the video card/chip) is so old that the drivers are not included in the distro.  I suggest you try a "lightweight" distro designed for older systems.  Here are a few, in no particular order, that I use:

Slax -- http://www.slax.org/
Puppy -- http://www.puppylinux.com/
Vector -- http://www.vectorlinux.com/

All have LiveCD versions, and can do a standard install from the LiveCD.