Many bugs: pdf, Thunderbird, Firefox, goes knows.

Marcel Rieux m.z.rieux at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 16:54:05 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Ranjan Maitra <maitra at iastate.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 19:25:17 -0500 Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > Just checking: did you quit your firefox and restart after the update?
>> > This may solve most of your problems, if not.
>>
>> There was a kernel update and I reboot every day anyways.
>
> Reboot every day? Hmmmm....that sounds like Windozy....anyway, what you
> are seeing can happen if firefox is not restarted: I am presuming you
> did quit firefox and restart after the update.

I looks like somebody running a computer in Canada and not caring
about heat dissipation in the room.

To make the story long, in reality, I've had the problem of grayed out
options for maybe 3 months and not much time and incentive to look
into the problem. Since I have a fairly noisy fan ($60 casing
including PSU) and I'm just keeping an eye open for decent one that
won't cost one third the price of the casing, I shut down the computer
at night.

>> > Little red rat? I don't have anything of that sort here: I confess I am
>> > using the LXDE spin, though.
>>
>> I believe this "little red hat" appears when you install software to
>> report kernel... instabilities or something like that.
>
> I see: this is the abrt tool. It is a pain and a joke. I have been
> tempted to get rid of it.

I suppose you're a SELinux Troubleshooter man :) But some pretend the
abrt tool does a better job:

"I’m a big fan of the new Abrt tool which can produce and file
detailed information for developers in a Bugzilla bug with just a few
clicks, and also the improvements to the SELinux Troubleshooter, which
do essentially the same thing."

http://marilyn.frields.org:8080/~paul/wordpress/?tag=fedora-12

As for myself, I, of course, have no idea.

>> I must admit I never sent those reports:
>>
>> 1st: Like, from "all" the answers I've received so far, for most
>> people here, it would look like a bad joke.
>>
>> 2nd: Before sending a report, you are warned that you are sending
>> sensitive data on an unencrypted connection. I thought I'd refrain.
>
> It downloads hundreds of debuginfo rpms first, regardless of whether
> you use it or not, from what it seems.

This is certainly a nightmare!

> I meant specs of the system. That is typically most helpful to diagnose
> a problem, if any.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=3096&ProductName=GA-MA770T-UD3P

The CPU is an AMD Phenom II X3.

Thanks for your help. I was far from sure I'd get some on this one.