Upgrading i686 vs. x86_64. Just checking !

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 12:15:48 UTC 2010

On Sunday 28 February 2010 04:31:55 am Mail Lists wrote:
> On 02/27/2010 10:59 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> >> I run F11 x86_64 and there are *zero* 32 bit libraries on my machine. I
> >> recently installed Mathematica from the Wolfram supplied binary for a
> >> friend. I however did not need to install any 32 bit dependencies. Are
> >> you sure about their dependence on 32 bit libraries?
> >
> > Umm, well, yes, I needed this specifically:
> >    compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-68.i686
> >
> > This package provides libstdc++.so.5 which is needed by Mma 6.0.3. Maybe
> > in
>
>   Is there a reason you dont install the 64 bit mathematica version - I
> thought it was automatic when you do the install - it detects it and
> installs the 64 bit one as appropriate. Perhaps you kept an old install
> and upgraded your fedora from 32 to 64 ?

Well it *is* the 64bit install of Mma. And yes, the installer did detect the
arch properly and installed the 64bit version. But for some reason it also
required the above 32bit library as well. It was a fresh install of both F12
and Mma.

I haven't looked into it really, but my guess is that there is a bug in either
Mma 6 or its installer script, so it requires one 32bit piece. Or maybe it was
a genuine requirement, some piece of code there might have still relied on
32bit stuff (the front end, some library, package, or whatever...). Apparently
version 7 doesn't have this problem anymore (but I didn't check this yet).

Best, :-)
Marko