OT: ISPs: Linux's role nowadays

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Sun Feb 28 18:47:31 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 11:08:38AM -0500, Marcel Rieux wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi> wrote:
>
> Ooops! Maybe the discussion is not over :)
>
> I understand not much of this, so let me try to sum this up in a
> know-nothing friendly way.
>
> They use nvidia multi gpu video cards for routing. Hence, they don't
> face the interrupts problems so soon.

Uhm, no, they didn't use video cards.

They used normal Asus P6T6 desktop motherboard, which has additional PCI-e slots
on the Nvidia NF200 PCI Express fanout switch chip (which is connected to the Intel X58 chipset).

> I suppose this is pretty experimental at this stage, though. How many
> cores are they using? I believe the plans are for 64 in the near
> future.

No, that was not experimental at all. In addition to the normal desktop
motherboard they used Myrinet 10 Gbit PCI-E NICs.

> Now, this is interesting... I believe. Good thing Huang pretends he's
> not after Intel's skin :)

10 Gbit throughput, over a single 10 Gbit link, between Linux boxes was
possible already in 2008.

-- Pasi