KMail / Akonadi mess

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Sun Feb 28 19:42:38 UTC 2010

Quoting John Austin <ja at jaa.org.uk>:

> On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 18:25 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>> On Saturday 27 February 2010 05:39:26 pm Mike Cloaked wrote:
>> > I am afraid that I have lost patience with this.  As far as my own
>> > view goes - mail is one of the few absolutely essential functions of
>> > any computer system/desktop/laptop/netboook, and any update that
>> > breaks a working mail setup is not excusable.  Any update to email
>> > systems should be very carefully and thoroughly checked in testing
>> > before it goes live - period.
>> >
>> > I have abandoned kmail and it would take a lot to get me back to it
>> > now. I now use Thunderbird exclusively - maybe other people will stay
>> > with kmail if that has been their favourite client up till now and
>> > hope that the problems get solved.  However I now do what Mail-Lists
>> > does and run a dovecot imap server on every machine - and run a filter
>> > to move all incoming mail from the external server (pop) to the local
>> > imap server - and that way if there is a problem with the email client
>> > then I can just switch to another client and still see all the same
>> > mail very simply indeed.  Also some email clients have better specific
>> > features than others and in the even of a serious disaster such as
>> > appears to have happened with the akonadi/nepomuk/kmail fiasco then at
>> > least I can simply close down kmail and open up Thunderbird and I am
>> > back in business - who knows how many people may never return to kmail
>> > after their experiences this week?

I am absolutely on Mike's side on this one. I use Kmail exclusively
and only after extensive testing, it has the features I want and use
and has always been solid. But it HAS TO WORK. Full time, all the
time, I live by my mail. I have been able to use the workaround Anne
Wilson pointed me to but that is one session only, if I quit kmail and
start it again I'm back at square zero. I'm writing this using my
webmail client because my system will come to its knees if I fire up
kmail. Changing clients is a HUGE pain in the ass and there seem to
have been no subsequent updates that have any relevance. Extremely
disappointing and I still don't have access to my addressbook, even
after trying to follow up on tips presented in other threads.

Dave

--
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
   Krishnamurti