KMail / Akonadi mess

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 20:03:46 UTC 2010

Dave Stevens-2 wrote:

> I am absolutely on Mike's side on this one. I use Kmail exclusively
> and only after extensive testing, it has the features I want and use
> and has always been solid. But it HAS TO WORK. Full time, all the
> time, I live by my mail. I have been able to use the workaround Anne
> Wilson pointed me to but that is one session only, if I quit kmail and
> start it again I'm back at square zero. I'm writing this using my
> webmail client because my system will come to its knees if I fire up
> kmail. Changing clients is a HUGE pain in the ass and there seem to
> have been no subsequent updates that have any relevance. Extremely
> disappointing and I still don't have access to my addressbook, even
> after trying to follow up on tips presented in other threads.
>
> Dave

In my case it was a clean f11 installed system that was fully updated. Only
a month ago was kmail used for the first time in a new user area on that
machine and no other user on the machine was using kmail, and the way it was
initiated was that kmail was fired up and a new pop account to a remote mail
server set up. Address book entries were imported from an ldif file from
another system, and a few setting changes made, with some additional folders
set for local storage. That was it. The system was working perfectly until
the kde update to 4.4 and then a day later the mail went south big time.
Others have commented that if kmail was running at the time of the update
this may have mattered - if that is the case then the update was flawed in
its design. The system should have continued to run and when kmail was
restarted it should have "just worked" - it did not.

It is possible that only one or two people had any problem at all with their
updates and were running kmail during their update, and maybe the few who
reported in this forum were the only ones that had any problems at all!
(Tongue removed from cheek!)

Anyway perhaps someone will find out what happened to the few is us "corner
cases" id due course.