Postfix, No SMTP AUTH when TLS is enabled

Raman Gupta rocketraman at fastmail.fm
Sat Jan 2 08:31:07 UTC 2010

On 01/02/2010 02:58 AM, froinds J wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 2:42 AM, Raman Gupta <rocketraman at fastmail.fm
> <mailto:rocketraman at fastmail.fm>> wrote:
>
>     On 01/01/2010 11:41 PM, froinds J wrote:
>
>         Hello,
>         I'm having a problem with postfix in F12.
>         I used to have my email server setup with F10. My setup had TLS
>         enabled (self signed certs) with SASL using
>         pwcheck_method=auxprop and
>         CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5. I had virtual accounts.
>         Everything worked great until I installed F12. It was a clean
>         install.
>         My issue now is the following:
>         If I disable TLS, postfix works as expected. If I enable it, I
>         cannot
>         authenticate. Without TLS I can telnet to my server and I get
>         250-AUTH
>         CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5
>

>     What auxprop plugin are you using?
>
>     Cheers,
>     Raman
>

> None. What should I use?
> Froinds

I guess that depends on how your virtual users are configured.

I don't use auxprop myself -- I configure saslauthd to authenticate
via pam (pwcheck_method: saslauthd). Then configure the
/etc/pam.d/smtp file as desired (mine uses pam_mysql.so to
authenticate virtual users against a mysql table).

However, based on the docs at http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html
it appears that if you use auxprop, it should be configured with a
plugin, like "auxprop_plugin: sql" or "auxprop_plugin: sasldb".

If you do switch to saslauthd (pam) note the following warning from
the same docs:

IMPORTANT: The Cyrus SASL password verification services pwcheck and
saslauthd can only support the plaintext mechanisms PLAIN or LOGIN.
However, the Cyrus SASL library doesn't know this, and will happily
advertise other authentication mechanisms that the SASL library
implements, such as DIGEST-MD5. As a result, if a remote SMTP client
chooses any mechanism other than PLAIN or LOGIN while pwcheck or
saslauthd are used, authentication will fail. Thus you may need to
limit the list of mechanisms advertised by the Postfix SMTP server.

Cheers,
Raman