F12/Subversion/httpd -- PROPFIND access denied [Solved]

Steven F. LeBrun steven at lebruns.com
Sat Jan 2 13:25:06 UTC 2010

On 01/02/2010 05:07 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-12-31 at 02:20 -0500, Steven F. LeBrun wrote:
>
>> The answer:  mod_evasive (mod_evasive20.so in my case).
>>
>> The evasive module is designed to stop denial of service attacks.
>>
> You have to wonder about that...  (about it being designed to stop them,
> instead of create one).  It doesn't sound sensibly configured, by
> default, according to your findings.
>
> Though, is your application really making the *same* request that often,
> or similar requests.  If it's making the exact same request, that
> doesn't sound like a good thing, in itself.

Yes, I am sure that the application, svn (Subversion) in this case, is
making three identical requests.  The requests were captured using
Wireshark so I was able to see all the bits sent and received.  There
are one or two different requests made between each of the identical ones.

Without examining the source code, I cannot say why svn makes the same
three requests instead of making it once and caching the data.

--
   Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: /"Winter meant the coming of the lazy wind, which couldn't be
bothered to blow around people and blew right through them instead."/
      -- Terry Pratchett, from /"Wyrd Sisters"/