Problems ripping DVDs I legally own to my media server

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Mon Jan 4 04:29:37 UTC 2010

All -

To make clear - I am only doing this with DVDs I legally own.  I am not
pirating, I am just trying to get all my DVDs onto a media server I am
building instead of having them strewn all over the entertainment center.

Specifically, I tried to rip Transformers 2 Revenge of the Fallen.  It
apparently has some new copy protection scheme where it reports that it
is 80 gigs, and every method I tried to decrypt them under Linux failed.

I wound up having to fire up my dusty old Windows box and use Ideal DVD
Copy to rip them successfully (http://tinyurl.com/yg8269g).

What, if anything, are you using to make legit backups of your newer,
copy-protected DVDs under Linux?

--
Thomas