Also having NFSv4 problems

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Jan 4 06:27:11 UTC 2010

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 22:05 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Sun, 3 Jan 2010, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> > ... snip ...
> > > The problem appears to be on the F12 client side:
> > >
> > > # service nfs restart
> > > Shutting down NFS mountd:                                  [FAILED]
> > > Shutting down NFS daemon:                                  [  OK  ]
> > > Shutting down NFS quotas:                                  [  OK  ]
> > > Shutting down NFS services:                                [FAILED]
> > > Starting NFS services:                                     [  OK  ]
> > > Starting NFS quotas:                                       [  OK  ]
> > > Starting NFS daemon:                                       [  OK  ]
> > > Starting NFS mountd: Usage: rpc.mountd [-F|--foreground] [-h|--help] [-v|--version] [
> > > -d kind|--debug kind]
> > >         [-o num|--descriptors num] [-f exports-file|--exports-file=file]
> > >         [-p|--port port] [-V version|--nfs-version version]
> > >         [-N version|--no-nfs-version version] [-n|--no-tcp]
> > >         [-H ha-callout-prog] [-s|--state-directory-path path]
> > >         [-g|--manage-gids] [-t num|--num-threads=num]
> > >                                                            [FAILED]
> > >

> > > About four years ago I was able to set up a similar arrangement
> > > using nfs3 on RHEL4 and F6, but this is my first attempt with nfs4.
> > > I seem to be having the same problem Robert P.J. Day is having with
> > > rpc.mountd.
> >
> >   a private emailer tells me that what's causing the problem above is
> > deselecting the NFSv1 line from /etc/sysconfig/nfs.  apparently, that
> > causes the problem so you should try this:
> >
> > #MOUNTD_NFS_V1="no"
> > MOUNTD_NFS_V2="no"
> > MOUNTD_NFS_V3="no"
> >
> > weirdly, that fixes that last problem.  why should that be?
>
> Robert,
>
> Weird is right. It does fix the nfs restart problem, but not the
> manual nfs mount problem. There's something else still lurking.
> Thanks.

  i'll start with submitting the above rpc.mountd error(?) to
bugzilla.  it seems pretty clear that *needing* NFSv1 support simply
to *start* rpc.mountd makes no sense.  but there's still another issue
related to this.

  as i read it, NFSv4 now incorporates the mount operation in the
protocol, and i read that as saying that you don't even *need* a
running rpc.mountd anymore if you restrict yourself to NFSv4.
however, the earlier emailer wrote the following:

"My understanding is that mountd, statd etc are still needed but they
do not need to be exposed to the outside world. That is, you can limit
all of them in /etc/hosts.allow to 127.0.0.1 and only open port 2049
on the firewall."

  so does anyone know for sure?  in any event, i'll bugzilla that
earlier error.

rday