I can't startup my Fedora 12

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 22:39:00 UTC 2010

On Jan 5, 2010, at 2:18 AM, 严晶涛 wrote:

> I have only install Fedora 12.
> My partition is
> /boot 200M
> LVM 290G
>
> LVM:
> fedora 20G
> other 10G
> opt 60G
> home 200G
> swap 3G
>
> fedora is Fedora 12's /
> opt is /opt
> home is /home
>
> All the filesystem is ext4

Do you mean, including /boot ?

My memory is that ext4  /boot is still not officially supported.

Did you reboot once, just to check?

> Then I want to install CentOS in other,I backup /boot and format /
> boot to ext3(because CentOS 5.4 doesn't support ext4) and copy
> backup to /boot
> Install CentOS to other,and format other to ext3.

Where is Cent's /boot?

What happens to F12's /boot that you attempted to restore?

> When I have installed CentOS,I can login CentOS,but when I choose
> Fedora 12,my system will stop in fsck,and I can't startup it...

Has Cent OS's /boot by any chance overwritten F12's /boot? That's
kind of what I'm expecting happened.

I think what you wanted to do was set the host (MSDOS) disk label as

/boot 200M: ext3 (I would name it "Fboot" or something in diskdruid,
to make it easier to remember.)
other 10G: ext3 (I like 40G or so, to play in, and I would probably
name it "cent" or "otherOS")
LVM 280: LVM

In other words, make the entire Cent OS file system a single MSDOS
level partition.

Hmm. I just checked the current partitioning instructions. I think
I'd better go raise a fuss or two. Anyway, the above should work, and
allow you to do something like what you are trying to do.

Recognize that, in the above, all of cent's file system, including
"/" and " /boot", would reside in the "other" partition.

(I'm not sure about the LVM interactions, or I'd suggest something
like separate "Fboot" and "Cboot" MSDOS-level partitions for
Fedora's /boot, and Cent OS's /boot, respectively.)

Joel Rees