another question on "Re: problems with system-config-display and crtl-alt-backspace"

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Jan 5 03:32:12 UTC 2010

Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> Don't do that. See:
>> http://ryanler.wordpress.com/2009/06/11/controlaltbackspace-shortcut-does-not-restart-the-x-server-in-fedora-11/
>>

>> (with screenshots even! :)
>> There is no need at all to make an xorg.conf, and as you have seen it
>> can cause problems moving forward.
>> kevin

Kevin or anyone who has a suggestion:

I tried the suggestion in the link you provided and it works ... as
advertised (???). If I have logged in, enabling that setting does mean
that crtl+alt+backspace will restart X and put me back at the login screen.

But it doesn't help in the one situation that I usually want to restart
X. I turn on a machine but the KVM is pointing to another machine. When
I am ready to use the machine that I have just powered up, the screen
size settings are wonked and I want to crtl+alt+backspace to restart and
get the screen size correct. In this case, it doesn't work.

 From what I can figure out, there is some part of the boot process that
polls the monitor and, if it the KVM has it pointing elsewhere, it makes
"worst-case default assumptions" since it doesn't see the monitor.

I am now assuming that the setting that I have made via the link's
suggestion works once a login has occurred and all shell stuff has been
resolved.

Is there a way to enable the key combination to work prior to logging
in? I am certainly happier that I can at least login, kick it, and get
settings back ... but that seems "wrong" since I don't think I really
should be restarting X once logged in.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

ps: I am also looking into all the other suggestions made in this thread
to see if I prefer any of the others, but figured I'd at least ask about
this "almost what I want" solution.