Changing GNOME "default" directories

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 5 08:02:44 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 22:19 +0100, Alessandro Boggiano wrote:
> I'd like to change the destination of the default GNOME directories :
> the directories like "Videos","Music"," Documents".. ( I'm using GNOME
> in Italian, so
> the original name, maybe, are a little different).
> Usually their definition is in the file ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs, and
> the file is there!
> Here a couple of lines:
> [snip]
> XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Scrivania"
> XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/Musica"
> [snip]
>
> But if I change the values, for example:
> XDG_MUSIC_DIR="/Dati/Mp3"
>
> The change is not detected, even after a logout.

There's supposed to be some function (or was in earlier Fedora releases)
that'd periodically update your user directories.  Though I don't know
how, and how often, it actually did its trick.  I've never seen it do
its trick.

I suspect the changes you made will only mean something to programs
looking for the default "video" folder (and other special folders), your
user dirs file will tell them which of your directories are the special
ones.  Creating the directories they refer to would have to be done as
another process (the real *first* logon, perhaps).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.