Fedora 11 network share browsing using Natuilus with Samba -Fixed?

KC8LDO kc8ldo at arrl.net
Tue Jan 5 20:32:07 UTC 2010

Tim;

Thanks for the advise. I made the changes I outlined, based on the info I
read on the cited web site, and the system is working fine now. I think the
big one was changing the order of the name resolution methods.

As far as reading the "man samba.conf" file, no. I do have the Samba book
however. Trying to find the root cause of the problem wasn't very intuitive.
There is a section on NetBIOS name resolution but somehow I missed it. Plus
when Nautilus pops up a screen saying it can't retrieve the file list from
the server wasn't helpful. Then looking at the machines listed I saw at
least a couple of them show up but you couldn't browse even those machines.
Nothing was making much sense. I suppose if none showed up it would have
been a bigger clue, at least for me.

I wonder why simple share browsing has worked on every version of Fedora I
tried, except for 11, including 12. All I can think of is some how the
default order was swapped around, maybe, for some reason only the developers
of the distro can answer. Of course I could be wrong, but it was odd never
the less. I was almost at the point of dumping F11 completely just because
of this one issue alone.

Right now I have Windows XP Pro running in a newly installed VM on my dual
core experimental box, the F11 one, and I don't see any shares, other than
the host, show up. I'm not really surprised by this since the VM is on a
different subnet from all of the other machines on my home LAN. I think one
solution is setting up one box as a "domain browse master" and not a simple
"local browse master". If I understand things right the domain master
browser should collect browse lists for all local browse masters on the
domain, including any subnets my LAN, and serve them up to any inquires by
any requesting client machines.

I guess setting up a dedicated Wins sever would be a clean way of doing it,
but I'm a bit lazy, and I frequently mess around with the various machines.
I just had to completely reinstall F12 last weekend because something
happened where the entire free space on the user partition was consumed all
of a sudden, all 140 GB worth of it! By what I don't know and I couldn't
even get the box to reboot completely to a GUI screen without locking up
solid. I had what looked like some ram sticks failing in the machine, a
month back, requiring a "Red Switch" reboot multiple times over a 3 to 4
week period. Never did a file system check afterwards so I guess it finally
caught up with me.

Regards;

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO