NetworkManager vs Cacheing nameserver

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 11:11:26 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 21:19 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 00:26:00 +0000
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > It might, in fact it probably would, but it's hard to believe that that
> > is the way you're supposed to do this.
>
> I'm sure it isn't, but it is easy and it works (except on opensuse
> where the whole boot process comes to a screeching halt when it can't
> write resolv.conf :-).
>
> If they wanted people to know the right way to fix it, then instead
> of just a comment saying "resolv.conf generated by NetworkManager"
> they would actually put in a comment describing how to convince
> NetworkManager to generate the correct resolv.conf file, (but that's
> just what they'd expect us to do! :-).

Following "Mail Lists"' suggestion I filled in the DNS field in the
nm-applet, after selecting the appropriate DHCP method. After restarting
NM I see that resolv.conf now says:

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 127.0.0.1

which is encouraging. We'll see if it stays that way and isn't
overwritten.

poc