TV over the internet

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Jan 6 20:22:19 UTC 2010

Bryn M. Reeves wrote:

>> I'd love to see a posting from someone who has abandoned
>> the traditional TV set in favour of the (Fedora) computer.
>
> I've not owned a broadcast TV in more than 7 years. For a lot of that
> time, I just didn't watch the stuff.
>
> Since the BBC iPlayer (I'm in the UK) moved to a format I can view on
> Fedora (OK.. Flash, so still not ideal! :) I find I watch rather a lot
> of TV on my living room PC!

Thanks for your response.
I guess iPlayer is exactly what I'm looking for,
but unfortunately it is restricted to UK residents.

I did wonder if I could use my son, in Cardiff,
to re-send the stream over to me in Dublin (or Italy)?
Could I do that without using up all his bandwidth?
It would be nice if there was a way to start with a UK IP address,
and then change to a foreign one?

> Nowadays, Chanel4 and 5 also have online content I can watch happily on
> Fedora.

What application do you use to watch Channels 4 and 5?
I take it they don't come through the iPlayer?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net