vmware workstation 7 on 64-bit fedora 12?

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Wed Jan 6 23:03:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 15:40 -0600, Dan Burkland wrote:
> Here is a link to the blog post that helped me get the modules to compile properly on 2.6.32.2: http://sadevil.org/blog/2009/12/31/vmware-player-3-vs-linux-2-6-32/
>
> Dan Burkland

Running fine on my fully updated F12 system here - and has been since
F12 and WS7 both were available. No kernel tweaks necessary so far. But
I did find one simple thing that needed to be done to make the install
work on the 1st try without issues:

Make sure that, prior to launching the WS7 installer, you place selinux
in permissive mode (assuming you haven't disabled it)!

After install is complete, it's fine putting selinux back into enforcing
mode if you like. IIRC, the problem seems to be that the selinux policy
doesn't like something the WS7 installer does with portrelease. That
causes problems later on.

Switching to permissive mode flags the error but allows the portrelease
stuff to happen, and the install completes normally. WS7 is then happy -
even if you put selinux back into enforcing mode after the install is
complete.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Chris