Clean install of Fedora 12 will not bring up login screen after upgrade

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Jan 7 04:47:24 UTC 2010

John Nissley writes:

> I did a clean installation of Fedora 12 from the CD today and the first
> boot was fine.  I could log into the computer and get the graphical
> interface.  I then did a yum upgrade and 500 MB later the upgrade was
> finished.  I then rebooted the computer and now the boot gets stuck at
> the f that looks like infinity which is just before the login screen
> would display.  I can boot into single user mode and also get into text
> mode but the graphical mode will not give me the login screen.  I saw
> that there was not a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file so I ran Xorg -configure to
> create one but that did not help either.
>
> Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Boot into text mode. Log in on the console, run "startx" and see what
happens:

1) If you get bounced back to the terminal, save a copy of
/var/log/Xorg.0.log, then look inside, for clues.

2) If the display hangs, try to switch to another VT using ALT-F2, or
ALT-F3. Save a copy of /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Ditto.

3) If all else fails, do the three-fingered salute, reboot into text mode,
log in to the console, then save a copy of /var/log/Xorg.0.log, then look
inside, for clues. Ditto.