Does anyone else think yumex is broken?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jan 7 16:51:49 UTC 2010

On 01/07/2010 04:08 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> The yum command line tool is great for anyone who wants to see more of
> the guts of package management.  However, PackageKit is neither
> unreliable nor barely communicating in my experience, and I use it
> most of the time in Fedora.
Well, ...

* ... I have occasionally seen PK notifying me about "updates
available", but when trying to download/install the updates, it told me
"0 updates available"

* ... in recent weeks (last time today) I've seen it forgetting about
its reboot notification (I was notified about updates being available,
and updated, but haven't rebooted since then - Initially the "reboot
notification button" appeared, meanwhile it's gone).

>  Yum also has bits that allow it to
> communicate with PackageKit when run on the command line.  This system
> works quite well.
May-be for you ... I am not excited about PK. A nice idea, but (over-?)
ladden with many (IMO) discussworthy/questionable "features".

Ralf