LAN Card doesn't activate

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Jan 11 01:08:22 UTC 2010

| From: j.halifax . <j.halifax at seznam.cz>

| Doesn't anybody know why my LAN Cards don't get active after rebooting
| despite of having the check-box for automated activation checked?
|
| After every reboot I have to open Network option in System->Admin menu
| and activate cards manual way.

You haven't told us much about your setup.

Assuming you are using Fedora, what version are you using?

Why do you say "cards"?  How many do you have?  In how many systems?

Are your cards managed by Network Manager, or by the old fashioned
system-config-network etc. scripts?  I find that the two systems can
interfere.

On my desktop (Fedora 11), I've disabled network manager and use the traditional
scripts.  I think I have actually removed the network manager package.

On three notebooks, I use Network Manager: it is better at handling
changes in connectivity.

For some reason, the notebook running Fedora 11 and the one running
Fedora 12 don't automatically connect to the wired network: I have to
poke the NetworkManager icon to get a menu and select from that menu
the wired interface.  For wireless, that would make sense, but for
wired that seems silly: after all I wired the connection.

On one notebook, I usef Ubuntu 9.10, again with network manager.  It
automatically connects to a wired network.

Does this correspond to what you are experiencing?