Using xandr -- Re: problems with system-config-display and crtl-alt-backspace

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 16:22:51 UTC 2010

On Monday 11 January 2010 03:51:16 Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > Post the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log, so we can see what is the problem
> > with autodetection of the external display, and your desired
> > configuration, and then we'll see what is the best way to fix it.
>
> I captured the output of both /var/log/Xorg.0.log and xrandr when
> booting up with the KVM pointed to the machine ("*__FOCUS") and pointed
> to another machine (actually, a turned-off machine) ("*__NO_FOCUS)

Yes, well, from the logs it is evident that the monitor gets properly detected
in both cases (when in focus and when not), but the resolution chosen
(automatically) when not in focus is wrong, 800x600. This is probably some
artifact of the interaction with KVM. Not sure precisely where is the problem,
though.

> I read the xrandr and "think" that what I want to do is (based on the
> example "Forces to use a 1024x768 mode on an output called VGA ..."):
>
> xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --mode 1680x1050

Yes, that should be it. Try it out and see if it works. You should probably
try it both when in focus and when not. It just might happen that the system
refuses to give you 1680x1050 when not in focus, so in that case you should
manually switch the resolution every time you get focus (with the above
command).

> If presume that this stays with the machine and is not session based
> (don't know where the info goes, don't know if I care).

No, AFAIK xrandr is interactive and does not store the settings anywhere. If
you want the settings to stick, you can either use xorg.conf, or create a
script (with the above command inside) and execute it whenever necessary ---
after login, or after getting focus, or whenever the resolution isn't
correct...

> My other question is I noticed that I seem to be hooked up so my single
> monitor is coming out of DVI-I-1 and not DVD-I-0.

It appears you have two DVI outputs on your graphics card, but only one is
connected to a monitor. I guess that the outputs are equivalent and either can
be used, but if you want to test it, just plug in the cable in the other
connector. :-) Anyway, I believe this should not matter much.

Best, :-)
Marko