ASF format ??

paul weston unique_clone86 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 12 01:28:39 UTC 2010

u dont hav to thats just one i install

Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:17:42 -0500
From: mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
To: users at lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject: Re: ASF format ??

On 01/11/2010 06:53 AM, paul weston wrote:

  if
this doesnt fix u up to the point u hav no problems vieing any format
or playing anything including but not limited to flash apps on facebook
then i donno wat to do :P   this is also wat i do on my Gnome systems i
donno really how the out come wil b if ur on a KDE system i dont
foresee any problems tho

rpm -Uvh
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm

yum repolist

yum update

rpm -Uvh
http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/adobe-release/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm

yum repolist

yum update

gedit /etc/yum.repos.d/skype.repo

[skype]

name=Skype Repository

baseurl=http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/fedora/updates/i586/

gpgkey=http://www.skype.com/products/skype/linux/rpm-public-key.asc

enabled=1

gpgcheck=0

yum repolist

yum update

yum install flash-plugin nspluginwrapper.x86_64 \

    nspluginwrapper.i686 alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686 \

    libcurl.i686

yum -y install f-spot flash-plugin filezilla thunderbird gimp amule
azureus skype xchat-gnome openoffice.org* AdobeReader_enu gnucash
scribus amarok audacity banshee mplayer mplayer-gui gtkpod xmms*
DVDRipOMatic dvdrip kino vlc mozilla-vlc xine* k3b bluefish kdewebdev
java compat-libstdc++-33 ffmpeg lame libXp mjpegtools wget gstreamer-*
alacarte dolphin gconf-editor preferences-menus.noarch
games-menus.noarch wormux* snes9x pychess.noarch monkey-bubble.x86_64
kdegames3* gweled.x86_64 glest* gemdropx fbg chess bsd-games atomix
astronomy-backgrounds.noarch astromenace*

rpm -ivh http://dl.atrpms.net/all/libdvdcss2-1.2.10-5.fc12.i686.rpm

cd /tmp/

wget
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/all-20071007.tar.bz2

tar xfvj all-20071007.tar.bz2

mkdir /usr/lib/codecs/

cp all-20071007/* /usr/lib/codecs/

ln -s /usr/lib/codecs/ /usr/lib/win32

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> From: jorge.fabregas at gmail.com

> To: fedora-list at redhat.com

> Subject: Re: ASF format ??

> Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 21:50:56 -0400

> On Friday 08 January 2010 17:32:05 Jim wrote:

> > I recieved a Video that says it's a .wmv file but Linux
Properties says

> > it is a ASF format.

> ASF is the "container" and almost every wmv and wma is indeed an
asf file.

> Since an ASF file may contain audio, video or both, these
alternate (file-

> extension) naming conventions have appeared (wma for audio; and
wmv for

> video).

> > I have tried to play it with VLC, Xine, Mplayer but there is
a codec

> > problem. They all play the Audio of the file but not the
Video.

> Ok, so it seems you have just the codec for windows media audio
but not for

> wmv... For issues like this I use a nice tool called "mediainfo"
that will

> tell you all the characteristics of the video file. Check it out:

> http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/

> There's an rpm for Fedora...

> > Using Mplayer, I get this error message.

> > The playback of this movie requires a video/x-asf-unknown
decoder plugin

> > which is not installed.

> Did you install the codecs tarball from the MPlayer site? Check
this guide:

> http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f12.html#binarycodecs

> I think that's what you are missing.

> HTH,