Can an analog monitor and digital TV coexist + no sound

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Jan 13 01:02:35 UTC 2010

Marcel Rieux wrote:
> I just bought a digital TV and I'm trying to configure my computer to
> use it. My monitor, a Viewsonic VX922 is connected in analog mode and
> the TV with HDMI. I used nvidia-settings as root to make the set-up
> and it didn't complain about the 2 different types of connections,
> analog and digital.
>
> For now, the TV show all the boot process except the login screen but
> stops showing the desktop image. Nothing works afterwards. If I unplug
> the monitor, everything works fine, I get the login screen on the TV,
> but when I put a film in the DVD reader, there's no sound.
>
> My video card also has a DVI output that I could use. If analog and
> digital don't work together, could I use the DVI output? The monitor
> doesn't have HDMI, just DVI.
>
> Here's the video section in xorg.conf:
>

> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier     "Monitor0"
>     VendorName     "Unknown"
>     ModelName      "ViewSonic VX922"
>     HorizSync       30.0 - 82.0
>     VertRefresh     50.0 - 75.0
>     Option         "DPMS"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier     "Monitor1"
>     VendorName     "Unknown"
>     ModelName      "SONY TV"
>     HorizSync       15.0 - 68.0
>     VertRefresh     58.0 - 62.0
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier     "Videocard0"
>     Driver         "nvidia"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier     "Device0"
>     Driver         "nvidia"
>     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
>     BoardName      "GeForce 9400 GT"
>     BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
>     Screen          0
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier     "Device1"
>     Driver         "nvidia"
>     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
>     BoardName      "GeForce 9400 GT"
>     BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
>     Screen          1
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier     "Default Screen"
>     Device         "Videocard0"
>     Monitor        "Monitor0"
>     Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
> #    Option         "ConstantFrameRateHint" "True"
>     SubSection     "Display"
>         Modes      "nvidia-auto-select"
>     EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>
> # Removed Option "metamodes" "CRT: 1280x1024_75 +0+0; CRT:
> nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
> # Removed Option "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +0+0; CRT:
> 1280x1024_75 +0+0"
>     Identifier     "Screen0"
>     Device         "Device0"
>     Monitor        "Monitor0"
>     DefaultDepth    24
>     Option         "TwinView" "0"
> [...]
Your xorg.conf seems incorrect....

For starters, the README for nvidia states....

To enable TwinView, you must specify the following option in the Device
section of your X Config file:

Option "TwinView"

I don't see that in your file's "Device" section.  I've not done
TwinView in years....but I also think there is only a single Device
section since you have only one video card.

Suggest you read....

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/190.53/README/chapter-13.html
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-7676/README.txt  (older,
but the samples are better IMHO)

Also, sample xorg.conf files can be found on the internet after using
google to search for them.

And one more item.  Since this is a nVidia configuration question I've
found that asking these types of questions to be best handled on the
nVidia forums.  http://forums.nvidia.com/

(FWIW, when I did TwinView my nVidia card had VGA and S-Video out.  I
used them simultaneously without problem.)

--
A Difficulty for Every Solution. -- Motto of the Federal Civil Service