[OT] perl help on number modification

Jake Peavy djstunks at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 16:40:44 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 5:01 AM, Gianluca Cecchi
<gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Gianluca Cecchi
> <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Todo:
> > 1.20 must become 1.2
> > 1.00 must become 1
> > 1.25 must remain the same
>
> Thanks to Dave, Jake and Geoffrey even if my answer was OT... thanks
> also for the perl links
>
> For Jake:
> the problem is that in your example I think that perl assumes they are
> numbers and renders them correspondingly. In my case, I get them as
> strings during the workflow, so that perl doesn't manage
> automatically...
> For example:
> perl -le '$foo=1.00; print $foo'
> 1
> [gcecchi at tekkaman ~]$ perl -le '$foo="1.00"; print $foo'
> 1.00
>
> BTW, it was the correct regex that I missed. Simple to read after you
> pointed out, but (at least for me) difficult to catch initially... ;-)
> Actually I had to make the job in awk where I then easily got the same
> effect with:
> sub(/\.?0+$/, "", foo)

Ah, right.  Well, just for the sake of TMTOWTDI, how about:

C:\>perl -le "$_ = q[GNU tar 1.20 is available]; print"
GNU tar 1.20 is available

C:\>perl -le "$_ = q[GNU tar 1.20 is available]; s/([.\d]+)/$1+0/eg; print"
GNU tar 1.2 is available

--
-jp

I wish I would have a real tragic love affair and get so bummed out that I'd
just quit my job and become a bum for a few years, because I was thinking
about doing that anyway.

deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com