Who do I file this bug with ?!?

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sat Jan 16 05:34:52 UTC 2010

Hi;

On Sat, 2010-01-16 at 11:56 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > Hi Ed;

> Well....  IMHO, I think you are on a witch hunt.....  :-)
>
> Having the place holder of "Windows Network" which isn't harming
> anything and trying to make it disappear by doing "stuff" is IMHO
> pointless.  Also, you've taken some advice in the bugzilla that seems to
> me very ill advised.   You've wiped out /var/lib/samba which belongs to
> the samba-common package.  Now, if you decide to remove that package you
> may run into difficulties or if the package is updated at some point it
> may cause you grief.
>
> I don't know why folks go in and willy nilly start deleting things or
> advise folks to do that.
>
> IMHO, if you don't plan to run any samba server or samba client you
> should simply remove any package related to samba.  That would include
> gvfs-smb and pam_smb.  And, FWIW, the removal of gvfs-smb will remove
> "Windows Network" from nautilus.

I write this last response to this thread as a defence of my actions and
as a warning to others.

On the Places menu it says 'Network' and the tool tip says "Browse
bookmarked and local network options".  When I click on it, it gives me
neither my bookmarked sftp remote machines nor my local network, but
instead shows me a network I do not have.  Nowhere can I find a
reference that this icon is for existing or potentially new Microsoft
Networks or even samba.  I genuinely expected it to show me my existing
Linux LAN with perhaps some properties of that network such as addresses
or aliases of the connected remote machines and another means of
connecting to a remote machine similar to the 'Connect to Server'
launcher just below it.

Since I had been working (albeit just started) to set up vnc I thought
perhaps there was an error.  Before I started screwing around, 6 days
ago I posted to this list asking/saying "Can't get rid of WindowsXP
network on Fedora !?!" and received no response.  So I went ahead seeing
what I could do about it.

I am quite willing to leave it alone, if that is your advice.  As I said
it just started out being a minor irritant.  Now I have to figure out
how to get /var/lib/samba back.  I suppose I should remove all remnants
of samba then re-install them if I can.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 12, Gnome 2.28