[SPF:fail] Re: possible bad ipv6 mirror [partial solution]

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jan 16 08:35:31 UTC 2010

Tim:
>> On an IPv4-only ISP, any IPv6-only resources will not be available to
>> you, and doing your own IPv6-IPv4 substitution behind a IPv4-only
>> network is pointless.

Ed Greshko:
> Can you expound on that last paragraph?  Or, at least the first half
> of the last paragraph.  While my ISP is also IPv4 only, if I have
> (which I do) an IPv4-->IPv6 tunnel I can access any IPv6 resource and
> that same resource need not have a corresponding IPv4 address.

If you're going to access an IPv6-only resource, through an IPv4-only
network (you, your ISP) you need some handler *outside* of your own
network.  Seriously, there is no way for me to directly access anything
that's IPv6.  While I might be able to resolve the name, there's no way
to connect to the IP.  The only way for me to do it, whatever method you
profer, is to find out an equivalent IPv4 address to connect to.

If you can only do IPv4, what's the point of having anything to do with
IPv6?  For resources available on both IPv4 and 6, if you're just going
to translate to IPv4, why not do just do IPv4 in the first place?

I don't write to this list in English, translate it to Spanish, then
translate it back to English again.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686