36 or 64 bit?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Jan 16 18:52:46 UTC 2010

Enrico Indiogine wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> I am coming back to Fedora after several years of Ubuntu.  The main
> reason is that the Fedora version of Emacs in more complete and
> up-to-date than Ubuntu.
>
> I have installed the 64-bit version on a HP 60G-535DX notebook.   This
> is the first time that I run a 64-bit Linux version.  I am wondering
> whether I should install the 32-bit version instead.   I have problems
> with my Atheron AR9285 network card.  It is recognized but then
> performance degrades and finally stops.   I also have trouble with the
> sound configuration. Sticking in the headphones does not mute the
> notebook speakers.   I also am not able to install Google Earth. The
> binary installer has an ELF failure.

I have had enough troubles with both 32 and 64 bit FC12 in the areas you
mention, that I would suggest dropping back to FC11. I have done two servers,
two desktops, to laptops, and a VM on FC12, and only one desktop is working
well. The others have display issues, touchpad hang issues, or network issues. I
suspect these are due to the underlying kernel, but until they are sorted out I
have reverted them to get stable operation.

> Maybe I should just install the 32 bit version?   I did some googling
> and it seems that the latest Fedora 12 kernel have driver problems
> with both my Atheron card and the Intel 82801I ICH9  HD sound
> controller.
>
> I may have less performance, but I am just an intermediate Linux user
> and would prefer a "simpler computing experience".
>
> What do you all think?

I think you will get a lot of people telling you that FC11 is going unsupported
in a few months, that newer is better, that 64 is always better than 32 and you
should avoid applications which are not packages in 64 bit, etc. For the lowest
drama I would go FC11 and 32 bit, with the PAE kernel. If stable is what you
want, that's probably the best choice. Not that the other choices don't have
some advantages, but no FC12 has been satisfactory for me.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>