F12 - partition damaged after hibernation on SDHC card

Stefano Cavallari stefano at cavallari.cjb.net
Sun Jan 17 01:12:58 UTC 2010

On Saturday 16 January 2010 23:58:07 jaivuk wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I have Acer Aspire One with 1GB of RAM with very slow SSD (for writing). I
> decided to improve the speed by adding fast 8GB SDHC card into left
>  'storage expansion' card reader - in kernel 2.6.31 it is /dev/mmcblk0.
Not your question, but I managed to make things faster by putting the home
directory on an external usb key/drive, and making less writes to /var
(especially syslogd).
When I need to update the system or install some packages I mount an external
disk (non-solid state) to /var/cache/yum. It's still quite slow due to rpm
fsync()ing often in /var/lib/rpm.

> In final I have this setup on the new SDHC card:
> /dev/mmcblk0p1 - 7200k - luks/lvm/ext4 mounted to /var
> /dev/mmcblk0p2 -  768k - encrypted swap initialised with /dev/urandom
those are MB, right?

> Everything works fine but when I try to hibernate, partition on
> /dev/mmcblk0p1 gets corrupted in such a way that I'm unable to open it with
> luks anymore. I tried it twice and I also tried to have luks over lvm (in
> oposite what I have now) but partition is always corrupted.
what is your crypttab / fstab? Could be a misconfiguration.
> I discovered that my swap file may be not sufficient for hibernation - but
> won't corruption happen if I increase it to for example 1.5Gb?
Corruption should not happen at all. Does hibernate work at all with no
encryption?
> However I don't think hibernation will work anyway because my swap is
> activated via urandom so password is lost at the next reboot ...
Fedora default is to use LVM over LUKS, swap inside LVM. This makes
hibernation work as the key is static. You have to write the pass-phrase again
on resume of course.
Random key for swap was used when there was no mechanism to ask for password
on boot, so it wasn't useful to keep a static key for swap, so that if the
static key were compromised swap data would still be safe (and data in swap is
probably more sensitive than fs data)
>Also is it possible to hibernate to file these days?
Don't know. I think the kernel is capable but the initrd not. Just speculation
though.