WAV files in Evolution

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Sun Jan 17 21:00:47 UTC 2010

I am looking for a good, fast, clean way to play WAV files in Evolution.
I get these from Asterisk when I have a phone message.

If I click on the Play button that Evolution shows me, nothing happens.
If I click on the little arrow, I get a menu that lets me use Amarok or
Kaffeine to play the message. This works, but using a huge, slow GUI
application just to play a 10 second audio-only phone message is like
killing a fly with a pile driver. I can save the WAV file and play it
with a command like "play msg0001.WAV" and that works fine. What I would
like is to find a way to get Evolution to do this by default when I
click the Play button. I have been all through the Preferences menus in
Evolution and the various System -> Preferences GNOME menus, but I can't
find anywhere that I can change this.

--Greg