Java and Chrome/Chromium

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 14:46:13 UTC 2010

F12 x86_64, updated. I'm using Google Chrome as my default browser, but
its only in 32-bit and Java (java-1.6.0-openjdk) doesn't work, in the
sense that Java elements on a page are simply blank and about:plugins
shows nothing for Java. I even linked my Java plugin into
to /opt/google/chrome/plugins to no avail.

I decided to try Chromium instead, which is available in 64-bit, but
although about:plugins shows IcedTeaPlugin.so it doesn't have an
associated Mime-type, description or title, and Java elements still
don't work.

The online help for Chrome (which Chromium also points to) says you need
the Sun Java plugin, but the instructions are only for Windows so I'm
not sure if it also applies to Linux.

Does anyone have a Java plugin working on Chrome or Chromium on a 64-bit
Fedora system?

poc