Java and Chrome/Chromium

Deepak Bhole dbhole at redhat.com
Mon Jan 18 16:46:42 UTC 2010

* Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> [2010-01-18 09:53]:
> F12 x86_64, updated. I'm using Google Chrome as my default browser, but
> its only in 32-bit and Java (java-1.6.0-openjdk) doesn't work, in the
> sense that Java elements on a page are simply blank and about:plugins
> shows nothing for Java. I even linked my Java plugin into
> to /opt/google/chrome/plugins to no avail.
>
> I decided to try Chromium instead, which is available in 64-bit, but
> although about:plugins shows IcedTeaPlugin.so it doesn't have an
> associated Mime-type, description or title, and Java elements still
> don't work.
>
> The online help for Chrome (which Chromium also points to) says you need
> the Sun Java plugin, but the instructions are only for Windows so I'm
> not sure if it also applies to Linux.
>
> Does anyone have a Java plugin working on Chrome or Chromium on a 64-bit
> Fedora system?

Unfortunately, the current OpenJDK plugin will not work with Chromium.
It is written in an API that is unsupported by Chromium.

A new plugin is in the works, and will be released as alpha with IcedTea
1.7 soon. This will be compiled in rawhide. I will backport it to F12 as
soon as it is beta/more stable.

Until then, as much as I don't want to tout closed source on Fedora, the
Sun plugin is the only option for Java on Chromium.

Cheers,
Deepak