loss of devices when remote is powerdown rebooted

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jan 18 18:20:25 UTC 2010

Greetings;

At 75yo, I've run up and down the basement steps here, and rebooted both
machines many ( >50 times) this morning, trying to keep a wired rs232
connection to a remote computer working.  My heart is telling me I probably
shouldn't do that too many more times.

When the remote machine is rebooted, I'm losing the ability to communicate
with /dev/ttyS0.

If the remote machine is rebooted via powerdown, I lose /dev/ttyS0 totally,
and it is not reset to working by whatever it is that has the responsibility
for that when the machine is powered back up and rebooted.

What is the magic spell to cause the rescan and re-initialization of the
/dev/tty* stuffs?

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene